The K-1 visa: Fiancé(e) Visa America

The fiancé(e) visa, also known as the K-1 visa, is a nonimmigrant visa that allows foreign citizens who are engaged to be married to U.S. citizens to enter the United States and get married within 90 days of their arrival.

The fiancé(e) visa is a popular option for couples who are planning to get married and live together in the United States.

Who is eligible for a K-1 visa?

To be eligible for a fiancé(e) visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be a foreign citizen who is engaged to be married to a U.S. citizen.
  • Your relationship must be bona fide, meaning that you have met in person within the past two years and that you intend to get married within 90 days of your arrival in the United States.
  • You must be admissible to the United States, meaning that you do not have any criminal convictions or other factors that would make you ineligible to enter the country.

How to apply for a fiancé(e) visa

To apply for a K-1 visa, your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) must first file a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Once the Form I-129F is approved, you will receive a Notice of Action (NOA) and a Form DS-160 visa application form.

You must then complete the Form DS-160 and schedule a visa interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country.

What to expect at the K-1 visa interview

At your fiancé(e) visa interview, you will be asked questions about your relationship with your U.S. citizen fiancé(e), your travel plans, and your ties to your home country.

The consular officer will also review your documentation to ensure that you meet all of the eligibility requirements for the fiancé(e) visa.


Applying for a fiancé(e) visa can be a complex process, but it is important to follow the instructions carefully and to be prepared for your visa interview. Doing so will help to increase your chances of getting your visa approved.

You May Also Like