Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

Did you or your child get a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)? This document proves you or your child is a U.S. citizen born outside the country. You can get a replacement or update it if needed.

Who can get a replacement or update?

  • You, if you’re 18 or older and on the CRBA
  • A parent, if your child is under 18
  • Someone with written permission from the person on the CRBA
  • An authorized government agency

What you’ll need:

  • Form DS-5542: Fill it out online or get a copy from a U.S. embassy or consulate.
  • Photo ID: A copy of your valid driver’s license or passport.
  • Payment: Check or money order for $50 (if you need a new CRBA).
  • Proof for updates: If you’re changing something on the CRBA, like a name or date of birth, you’ll need documents to prove it.

Here’s how to do it:

  1. Gather your documents. Make sure you have everything you need before you start.
  2. Fill out the form. Answer all the questions carefully.
  3. Pay the fee. If you need a new CRBA, you’ll need to pay $50.
  4. Mail your application. Send everything to the U.S. Department of State.

Track your application:

Once you submit your application, you can check its status online. You can also call the Vital Records office at 202-485-8300.

Tip: The U.S. Department of State only issues the CRBA form (FS-240). All previously issued FS-240 and DS-1350 documents are still valid.

Need help?

The Vital Records office can answer your questions and help you with your application. Contact them online or by phone.

We hope this makes it easy for you to get a replacement or update your CRBA!

You May Also Like